CHARLES G. FINNEY'S
1. Prudence not moral cowardice.
2. Nor worldly expediency, or policy. Beware of this.
3. Prudence is practical wisdom, sagacity in adapting means to ends and in foreseeing consequences.
4. It is imprudent to settle when a considerable minority are against it.
5. Also, to remain under such circumstances.
6. Also, to marry an unspiritual wife.
7. Also to marry whilst in debt, especially if wife is poor.
8. Or to run in debt at any time.
9. Or to have no definite agreement about salary.
10. Or to take the temporalities of the church upon your hands.
11. Or to disburse the poor funds of the church.
12. Or to be the secretary of the church.
13. Or the treasurer.
14. Or to be a voluntary party in a case of discipline.
15. Or to be an advocate of either party.
16. Or to moderate a meeting when you are personally interested in the result. Dishonorable.
17. Or to take a partisan attitude in a case when you can conscientiously avoid it. Be candid.
18. If party questions arise, either anticipate them, or reserve your fire for the right time.
19. Don't practice that which may need reproof.
20. Nor suffer your family to do it. (Dr. Spring).
21. Keep your eyes open to probable results. Prov. 22:3.
22. Keep out of suspicious company, or temptation.
23. Avoid places that may beget suspicion.
24. Don't encourage worldly professors in getting up fairs, parties and worldly projects.
25. Don't favor donation parties. Hindrances.
26. Don't give your example in favor of misspending time or money.
27. Always ask, "What will result if such practices become general? If all should copy?"
28. Never use tobacco or opium, or other narcotics.
29. Nor alcohol as a beverage. Drugs.
30. Never belong to any secret society.
31. Look to all teachers within your parish.
32. Don't get mixed up with any strife.
33. Watch against neighborhood quarrels, or church or family quarrels.
34. Especially the suspicion that you have contention in your own family.
35. Preserve the position in which you can instruct, reprove, rebuke all parties.
36. Don't commit yourself, and pretend to instruct, when you are not well informed.
37. Be known as a thorough reformer, so that you can guide and control reforms.
38. Never fear to be faithful. Fear is a snare.
39. Never let anyone think you fear to do your duty to all classes.
40. Don't try to please everyone, this will shake confidence and bring you into bondage.
41. Aim to please God in all things. This [is] true prudence.
42. This will in the end secure confidence.
43. Expose and rebuke sin in high and low places.
44. Rebuke popular sins, tricks of trade.
45. Also political fraud and slanders.
46. Insist much on confession to the injured.
47. Also on restitution. Powerful restraints.
48. Also on the punctual payment of debts.
49. This may secure the punctual payment of salary.
50. Insist on the discharge of domestic and social duties.
51. Don't inculcate extravagant doctrines.(1) That the Bible forbids all social distinctions. It recognizes distinction of office, of culture, of "honor to whom honor is due."
(2) A community of goods.
(3) That it is wrong to lay up any property.
(4) Extravagant notions of dress, over or under dressing.
52. Be wise and charitable in treatment of other denominations.
53. Avoid a complaining spirit.
54. Encourage people to do and give, and do not scold them for not doing and giving.
55. Lead, but don't attempt to drive.
56. Avoid any appearance of self-will.
57. Avoid a controversial spirit, or preaching. Be candid.
58. Also a dictatorial spirit, it provokes resistance.
59. Check if possible all controversy in the bud.
60. Don't listen to tale-bearers, but rebuke them.
61. Beware of prejudice against any.
62. Discourage news-mongers, busy-bodies.
63. Honor rulers, teach their duty.
64. Hold fast constitutional remedies to bad laws.
65. Avoid all that needs explanation and apology.
66. Beware of the influence of anonymous letters.
67. Also, of all communications when the authors wish their names withheld.
Copyright (c)1999, 2000. Gospel Truth Ministries
Wish to Copy a File? READ THIS
HOME | FINNEY LIFE | FINNEY WORKS | TEXT INDEX | SUBJECT INDEX | GLOSSARY | BOOKS STORE
This file is CERTIFIED BY GOSPEL TRUTH MINISTRIES TO BE CONFORMED TO THE ORIGINAL TEXT. For authenticity verification, its contents can be compared to the original file at www.GospelTruth.net or by contacting Gospel Truth P.O. Box 6322, Orange, CA 92863. (C)2000. This file is not to be changed in any way, nor to be sold, nor this seal to be removed.